PROVINCE OF MEXICO-HONDURAS-PASO Tx
Because of the separation of Church and State in France in the 19th century, Religious Institutes were no longer recognized in the teaching profession. Consequently, the Sisters of St. Joseph of Lyon began to seek new horizons in Europe, Asia, Africa and America.
On October 6, 1903, Mother Marie Flavie Arnaud and five Sisters arrived in Veracruz and were welcomed by Father Félix de Jesus Rougier.
Marie Flavie Arnaud P. Félix de Jesús Rougier
On October 15, the Sisters opened a college in Mexico City, and the following year, a college in the center of the city.The First Five Sisters in the Field of Education
Moved by the extreme poverty of their surroundings, the Sisters not only wished to serve the poor but to live among them. Their zeal inspired young women to enter the Novitiate in Lyon, France, and in South Berwick, Maine, USA. Mexico opened their novitiate in 1941.
The Mexican Sisters enriched the Congregation through their presence with the poor. In 1946, they opened two free primary schools as well as schools in rural areas. They were also engaged in various ministries: the orphans, street children and a hospital. In 1958, Mexico received the status of Province.
First Postulants in Mexico 1941
In 1965, the Second Vatican Council asked Religious Congregations to return to the original vision of their founders. The implementation of the Council demands had a strong impact across the Continent and the Church of Latin America: questions and concerns arose which led the Religious to choose a preferential option for the poor. Repercussions followed: experiments of community life, insertions in poor neighborhoods - both urban and rural areas - and with indigenous people.
At the General Chapter of 1987, the Congregation strongly supported the “Option for the Poor.” To this day, the Province has faithfully lived according to this orientation.
In 1995, the Provinces of Mexico and the United States undertook a common project in El Paso, Texas.
In 1996, a community was established in Manto, Honduras.
The Youth of Manto, Olancho
In 2001, a community was established in Tegucigalpa, Honduras
First Honduras Postulants
From 1998, in response to the challenges of CLAR (Conference of Latin American Religious) and the Refoundation in the Province, we expanded our horizons to minister to migrants and street children.
The Congress of Religious Life (2004) and the General Chapter of 2005 gave us a new impulse for the option for the poor, and the care of creation.
In 2010, new insertions renewed our hope and desire to follow Jesus
- Presence to migrants in Tierra Blanca, Veracruz.
- Presence in a parish composed of people coming from various States of the country (internal migration) in the city of Juarez.
- Presence among the impoverished who live in the outskirts of San Pedro Sula,
- Presence among the poor and young students with low income in El Progreso, Honduras.
In 2012, we are present in two colleges; we minister to the natives in the country and urban areas; we are involved in healthcare and alternative medicine; in the mission Ad Gentes; at the United Nations; the daily lives of our Senior Sisters.
Élèves de l’école Sr. Cristina à Soteapan, Veracruz
Sn Pedro Sula, HONDURAS
El Progreso Yoro HONDURAS
Tierra Blanca, Veracruz
As weak instruments for the life of the world.